From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] routine maintenance.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:38:40
1 On 18/02/2021 08:20, Hund wrote:
2 >> Any thoughts about running a drive this old, and what I should be
3 >> looking at as a replacement?
4 > No matter how old or new your disk is, keep your backups current and in working shape.
5 >
6 > If it's old, I would just keep an extra eye on the S.M.A.R.T. status and replace it when it's getting close to dying. If you're lucky it will last you for a long time and if you're unlucky it could die any day, which is also to true for any disk.
7 >
8 I guess my Barracudas are that old ...
9
10 I'd just worry about the pre-fail warnings. I guess you need to replace
11 the drive, and that one's probably fine for short term backups - you
12 should always have a couple of backups lying around, so this could be
13 your daily incremental say.
14
15 Cheers,
16 Wol