From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: baselayout-2.0.0 surprises
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:49:23
1 On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:49:55 +0200, b.n. wrote:
2
3 > > Now it makes sense. If you have not modified conf.d/net since the last
4 > > baselayout emerge, portage considers the file to be part of the old
5 > > package and removes it. That's why only some machines are affected. It
6 > > also shows that this is not a bug with the new baselayout but a time
7 > > bomb in the 1.x ebuilds.
8 >
9 > Err, how can it make sense?
10 > Does it make sense to have portage *remove* (or substitute silently)
11 > files in /etc? Maybe if I don't modify conf.d/net is because I don't
12 > had the need to modify it...
13
14 I mean it makes sense how it happens, not that it is sensible to do. It's
15 not that you haven't modified it, in that case it doesn't matter that the
16 1.x default is replaced with the 2.0 default. But the way this explains
17 the 1.x ebuild working means that if you do modify the file under 1.x,
18 then emerge baselayout 1.x again, the modified file is considered to have
19 been installed by portage and safe to replace with a later default,
20 although even that logic is flawed.
21
22 It's all academic now, as the bug has been uncovered and fixed, which is
23 exactly what the testing arches are for.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Is fire supposed to shoot out of it like that?