From: Daniel Wagener <stelf@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:43:14
1 On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:36:55 -0600
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Daniel Wagener <stelf@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I ran into some trouble about an hour ago…
8 > >
9 > > My workstation has an onboard Realtek Ethernet which only works with the r8168 driver.
10 > > Unfortunately, this driver is not in the kernel, but available to be compiled as a kernel module. (I guess because of som patents)
11 > > That worked for quite some time, until i thought "hey, you got an hour of time, your workstation is still on 3.7.4, why don't you just upgrade it to 3.8.2?"
12 > > So I did, only to find out that Linus and his friends changed the way drivers are initialized… (__devinit got unsupported for example)
13 > >
14 > > Of course, the guys who wrote that r8169 have not changed their code yet.
15 > >
16 > > tl;dr:
17 > > My network is broken since 3.8.0.
18 > >
19 > > So for an immediate fix I am emerging 3.7.10 (since emerge --depclean deleted the Kernel source when it found the source fo 3.7.8 which got removed as soon as 3.8.2 was emerged…) to get it working again.
20 > > For the long run im thinking of buying a PCI(e) card with Kernel support.
21 > > Or maybe, if I find some time I will fix the driver myself.
22 > >
23 > > My question now is:
24 > > Who should I talk to so something like this does not happen again?
25 > > A certain gentoo dev, who could issue warnings on emerging kernels, something like excerpts from the changelog?
26 > > Myself, because I missed what I described above?
27 > > The devs of the r8169?
28 > > Linus & co for breaking things?
29 > > Myself bcause I forgot something else?
30 > > Realtek?
31 > > Or someone completely different?
32 >
33 > Mmmh. What sources do you use? In vanilla-sources-3.8.2, there is a
34 > r8169 driver:
35 >
36 > ./drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/r8169.c
37 >
38 > config R8169
39 > tristate "Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet support"
40 >
41 > Say Y here if you have a Realtek 8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
42 >
43 > To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
44 > will be called r8169. This is recommended.
45 >
46 > What is more, I'm using that driver. It works without a problem. Do
47 > you use a different driver with the same name?
48 >
49 > Regards.
52 oh great, so I actually mixed it up…
53 the 8169 is in the Kernel yes, but what i need is the 8168