From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:54:50
1 * Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> [121224 21:17]:
2 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 04:54:08PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:04:13 -0600
5 > > > Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > >> Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic.
8 > > >> Somewhere, sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram
9 > > >> filesystem) became vogue for the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd
10 > > >> (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got retired.
11 > > >
12 > > > Is there Gentoo documentation for creating initramfs without using
13 > > > dracut? I could only find documentation for doing it *with* dracut,
14 > > > and that procedure required using genkernel. Surely Gentoo must have
15 > > > an initramfs guide for non-genkernel users, but I couldn't find one.
16 > > >
17 > > >
18 > >
19 > > I used this one (I think!!!) 6 months or a year ago. It worked first
20 > > time but it was a bit of work getting there:
21 > >
22 > > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
23 >
24 > Same question ... initrd.gz and initramfs are *not* the same thing; and there
25 > was a package called mkinitrd in Gentoo that was retired to attic some time
26 > ago, before my exodus from Slackware to Gentoo; therefore, I don't know it's
27 > history. Most distros still have a mkinitrd script, but not Gentoo. And there
28 > are lots of resources online which can guide you in making an initrd or
29 > initramfs. I'm an old guy and don't care to learn too much new unless someone
30 > very knowledgable in *nix (not just one distro) can give me a good reason for
31 > doing so. No one has with initramfs to date.
32
33 Try reading the kernel Documentation. (e.g.,
34 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt.)
35
36 initramfs is an improvement over initrd.
37
38 Todd