From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 02:29:58
1 On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 29 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I have experience with LVM, but not systemd or dracut or initramfs
7 >>>
8 >>> * both grub and grub2 support lvm
9 >>
10 >> Does GRUB legacy handles /boot in LVM? I haven't tried that yet.
11 >
12 > That I don't know. I believe the LVM "companion manual" that I am
13 > seeking and that I used for previous installs advised against /boot on
14 > lvm (probably also /lib and others). Perhaps this was simply reflecting
15 > no initramfs. Hence any grub issue with /boot on lvm didn't arise.
16
17 I believe is orthogonal to an initramfs. The initramfs lives in /boot,
18 and if the boot loader (LILO, GRUB, GRUB2) cannot mount /boot, then
19 there is no initramfs. That's why GRUB2 is so damn big (it implements
20 LVM among other things, or at least the minimal to mount partitions
21 read only), and why some people are pushing for "Linux to boot Linux",
22 sometimes called /firstboot.
23
24 GRUB2 can mount my /boot inside LVM. Perhaps with UEFI all this will
25 become irrelevant.
26
27 Regards.
28 --