From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Computers and mental/emotional health
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 02:20:50
1 On Oct 4, 2011 7:01 AM, "Matthew Marlowe" <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
5 > >> Has anyone dealt with this successfully? I'd love to
6 > >> know how you did it.
9 > You're right to worry about this....and I suspect it's also aging
10 > related. The older I get, the more sensitive I am to how many
11 > hours/day is healthy.
12 >
13 > I don't think there is a perfect solution, especially as more and more
14 > important things in life require an internet device of some kind.
15 > It's not uncommon for me to spend 2-3hrs researching something, up to
16 > 8hrs working, and then have 2 hrs of other emails/social/community
17 > stuff all in one day that involve computers.
18 > 12 hours/day in a roughly fixed position indoors is never ever going
19 > to be healthy. Especially if it must be kept up for years and years
20 > as one gets older.
21 >
22 > So, I've gathered ideas from others and have come up with my own
23 > recommendations:
24 > a) avoid going to the computer if you can be doing something else and
25 > don't need to be there (once I'm at a computer, there is always
26 > something that can make me stay there so avoiding being there in first
27 > place is important)
28 > b) stand up and take brief walks for whatever at least once/hour while
29 working
30 > c) recent research suggests that taking vitamin d tablets starting in
31 > ones thirties can have a significant impact on relieving some of the
32 > sunlight/lack of being outdoor issues
33 > d) try to go to the gym or do some signficant exercise to start the
34 > day, this can possibly trick your metabolism to run faster all day
35 > long
36 > e) what many people do, I find, is simply have days where you don't
37 > touch the computer (briefly check cell phone but thats it)
38 > f) try to find something in your daily routine that will take you
39 > outdoors for at least an hour/day, preferably longer (can be harder
40 > for those of us who telecommute)
41 > g) try to build regular activities with your family/friends that
42 > involve outdoor recreation (build a home pool/take up swimming
43 > laps/etc)
44 >
45 > Nothing will completely remove the fact that modern life is
46 > increasingly unhealthy, but the above is at least a good start.
47
48 If I may add: try a cup of normal (i.e. non-decaf) coffee about 1 hour after
49 you start using the computer.
50
51 I recently read in the newspaper that 2-4 cups of caf coffee per day
52 significantly reduce the chance of getting a depression.
53
54 Rgds,