From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:19:49
1 On 30/08/2017 13:25, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:49:58AM -0700, Rich Freeman wrote
3 >> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Another example is LVM. You or I might really need it (debatable now we
6 >>> have ZFS) but the average user has no concept of what it might be, or
7 >>> care. So why do Ubuntu installers shove it in your face as something
8 >>> really cool that you should really really use? Because the author of the
9 >>> installer thinks it's really cool, that's why.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Maybe.
13 >>
14 >> Or maybe because when that computer's hard drive starts getting full
15 >> and you add a new hard drive, if you're using lvm with a few commands
16 >> you can make your /home expand across both drives, while with straight
17 >> partitions that is a lot more work.
18 >
19 > 1) I don't recall having added a hard drive for many years.
20 >
21 > 2) How difficult is it to symlink directories?
22
23 Oh that part is easy. One command, ln, with the option -s.
24
25 Now go and get your grandma to do it, and come tell us what happened.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com