From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curiosity...
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:39:35
1 On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 16:09 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Saturday 29 January 2011 06:33:39 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
7 > > > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
8 > > > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
9 > >
10 > > > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
11 > > <SNIP>
12 > >
13 > > > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
14 > > > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster... ;)
15 > >
16 > > I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over
17 > > HDMI..
18 > >
19 > > > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
20 > > > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
21 > > > controller and IDE???
22 > >
23 > > The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
24 > > architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
25 > > maybe they do.
28 > they do.
29 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count
30 >
31 > > IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
32 > > but more simple.
33 >
34 > also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus. And some
35 > kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.
36 >
37 I have a new Jetway atom N330 board with an nvidia ION chipset with
38 builtin CIR (Common Infra Red) controller accessed via the LPC and
39 nvidia chipset. A pig to get to work on gentoo, but it does work.
40
41 So yes, in use even on the latest motherboards :)
42
43 BillK