From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:27:35
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 24/06/2015 13:50, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 >> P.P.S. Also, on 1% better performance: My professor for the compilers
4 >> class I took used to (maybe still does) work at Google. Apparently
5 >> Google sees a <1% increase in performance as *the best thing ever*,
6 >> because it can save them a bunch of money in infrastructure and power.
7 >> Apparently Google are the ultimate ricers.
8 >
9 > Sounds like a case where Google already did the sensible optimizations
10 > long long ago and are now hitting the diminishing returns from the long
11 > tail. There are probably many of these and they all add up.
12 >
13 > One thing I've learned about Google's setup - there's nothing else like
14 > it out there and they are truly unique. Almost nothing Google does to
15 > optimize their setup is widely applicable to anything else :-)
16 >
17 > Take their power density. Last figures I have is they were running at 4x
18 > the kW per square foot as anyone else with a brain. This terrifies
19 > people who know about cooling. But, that's the setup and that's what
20 > Google has to work with. Now suddenly, all those lots of little
21 > improvements start to become a huge deal.
22 >
23 > So yes, ultimate ricers. Also the ultimates in
24 > "riding-co-close-to-the-edge-you-fall-off-the-cliff" :-)
28 Do we even have a clue how many puters Google has now? I read several
29 years ago it was like 10,000 or so. No telling what they have now. o_O
30
31 Dale
32