From: Rohit and Bhavana <bhavhit@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.0 DVD hangs !
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:28:29
1 Hi there,
2
3 I downloaded the ISO image and as I didn't have a blank CD handy, I
4 burned it onto a single layer DVD [after all it was an ISO image,
5 right?] and hoped for the best.
6 My PC now boots off it, shows lovely startup splash etc till it tries to
7 start GDM.
8 At that point - the mouse pointer changes to a clock [waiting for the
9 background to draw in gdmgreeter I think] - and it just keeps waiting.
10
11 1. My machine is an athlon-xp with modo integrated nvidia gefore2
12 disabled and onboard GeForce4 FS 5600 enabled. No problems so far
13 with hardware. My previous issues with soundcard and rootdisk
14 ultimately traced out to be udev issues.
15 2. top shows 99+ % CPU hogged by gdmgreeter on a constant basis.
16
17 As it is a released ISO, I wouldn't expect problems here - but I do ;-(
18 Has anyone else had it? Could it be because I am using a DVD to burn
19 that CD image? [It boots fine, and I thought it was just media type...]
20
21 Would appreciate responses please.
22
23 regards,