From: Richard Marzan <richardmarzan@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound jack isolations
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 01:14:15
1 On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 21:11 -0500, Richard Marzan wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
3 > > I tried googling around but no helpful content so far. I have a
4 > > laptop with built-in sound. It uses the HDA_intel kernel module. My
5 > > problem is that I can't silence the onboard/built-in speakers when I
6 > > plug in the headphones to the machine. Muting sound would lead to all
7 > > jacks and audio ports to be silenced -- not just the built-in
8 > > speakers, which I intend to mute solely leaving sound alive on the
9 > > headphone jacks. There are no channels readily observable to
10 > > differentiate where sound goes and to which port with alsa-mixer. The
11 > > behavior I would like to achieve is one that will allow me to mute
12 > > onboard speakers while continuing to have the headphones receive
13 > > audio signals. Has anyone ever done this? Any pointers to
14 > > documentation will be appreciated.
15 >
16 > Is it a Dell with an ICH8 chipset? This is a well known bug and is fixed
17 > in alsa-1.0.15. I have this same problem on my Dell D830 which runs
18 > Gentoo and Ubuntu.
19 >
20 > On Ubuntu I use a backported kernel and
21 > 'options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m42' in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
24 There was someone who asked for me to keep him or her updated with this
25 effort and this is why I'm posting back to the post with this info.
26
27 Well, a few months later and sound jack sound isolation issue is
28 corrected. Upgrade to ALSA-DRIVER 1.0.16 and you should be fine. You
29 might have to unmask it. Sound now ceases to emanate from my speakers
30 when headphones are plugged into my laptop (HP dv6645us). All thanks to
31 Tobin Davis and the alsa-project and a surprise from emerge --sync &&
32 emerge -uDNtv world
33
34 Here is my output from the alsa-info shell script, I hope this helps
35 someone out:
36 http://pastebin.ca/988978
40 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list