From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:08:24
1 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:26:40 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:01:24 +0100
6 >> David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > [snip]
8 >>> With the pending changes to udev scripts, you could well need /var
9 >>> -- and anything else -- before udev starts. So it is in the same
10 >>> category as /usr.
11 >>
12 >> Maybe, maybe not.
13 >>
14 >> However, no-one apart from you is even suggesting such a thing. For my
15 >> part I'm going to ignore that possibility and concentrate on those
16 >> things that are being seriously suggested.
17 >
18 > The Gentoo developers have been discussing just that. The reason is
19 > that many of the daemons that can be started by udev scripts require
20 > work files on /var, so we could well need /var mounted too.
23 Yep. I notice my LVM starts twice. It fails the first time because it
24 can't find files in /var then tries again later on after everything is
25 mounted, except the LVM stuff of course. So, this is most likely coming
26 and is one reason I am considering different options.
27
28 This is also another reason I want to get some sort of init thingy
29 working. I already have /var on its own regular partition but also want
30 /usr and /var on LVM. Right now, that could cause a problem since LVM
31 looks to have issues coming up without /var being mounted.
32
33 Luckily for me, I only have a data partition that contains video files
34 on LVM. It has nothing to do with the OS itself.
35
36 That is one reason this is causing me concerns. It's not just what is
37 already getting screwed up but also what is about to get screwed up that
38 makes it even worse.
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
46 how you interpreted my words!
47
48 Miss the compile output? Hint:
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"