From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tar?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:09:33
1 On 3/23/06, Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > I think I need to go back to basics here to get out of a hole:
3 >
4 > I have move my /usr onto a different machine as part of a migration
5 > exercise, but the partition in question will barely contain it. Is
6 > there a way of running tar so that:
7 >
8 > 1. Only part of /usr is untarred in a different partition (all of
9 > /usr/*, except /usr/portage which I want to eventually untar it and keep
10 > it in there).
11 > 2. Those directories which are untarred are also removed from the .tgz
12 > file so that there is enough space left behind to untar the /usr/portage
13 > directory.
14 > 3. Finally, /usr/portage is now untarred into the said partition and the
15 > tgz file is deleted thereafter.
16 >
17 > Could you please help with the command/piping syntax?
18
19 Hmm... basics... I would start with `man tar` and see where that takes you.
20
21 -Mike
25 Michael E. Crute
26 http://mike.crute.org
27
28 It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
29 --Douglas Adams
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list