From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading gcc: both 4.4 and 4.5 needed?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:06:40
1 On Nov 18, 2011 9:27 PM, "Willie Wong" <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 07:41:21PM +0000, James wrote:
4 > > > Now, why can't the USE descriptions be like the kernel option
5 > > > descriptions and have something like what Pandu wrote included?
6 > >
7 > > I added this to root's .bashrc a long time ago:
8 > >
9 > > # USE flag settings hack by Ciaran McCreesh:
10 > > explainuseflag(){ sed -ne "s,^\([^ ]*:\)\?$1 - ,,p" $(portageq
11 > > portdir)/profiles/use.{,local.}desc; }
12 > > alias ef="explainuseflag"
15 > > Then simply use the alias for a quick check to learn about all the
16 different
17 > > uses of a given flag:
18 > >
19 > > 'ef graphite'
20 > >
21 > > # ef graphite
22 > > Enable support for non-Roman fonts via media-gfx/graphite2
23 > > Enable support for non-Roman fonts via media-gfx/graphite2
24 > > Add support for the framework for loop optimizations based on a
25 polyhedral
26 > > intermediate representation
27 > >
28 > > Then drill down into the a specific package's use flag meaning, using
29 the
30 > > aforementioned 'equery u' delineated by Albert.
31 >
32 > You people seem to miss my point. I know perfectly well how to find
33 > the USE descriptions. It is just that the USE description, in this
34 > case (as in many others) isn't terribly useful.
35 >
36 > "Add support for the framework for loop optimizations based on a
37 > polyhedral intermediate representation" means absolutely gibberish to
38 > me.
39 >
40 > But if one were to add an additional one or two lines a la Pandu,
41 > about how it is supposed to make " gcc-4.5.3 use a newer method to
42 > detect parallelism, thus (potentially) makes programs compiled by gcc
43 > to have better multithreaded performance" and perhaps even a Kernel
44 > help page style "It is mostly stable. If unsure, say Yes."
45 >
46 > It would be ever so much more helpful for people who would like to
47 > find out what new flags do before deciding whether or not to follow
48 > the default recommended by the devs which are set into the profile.
49 >
50 > (I'm not saying this type of hand holding is necessary for all flags:
51 > "enable support for non-Roman fonts via media-gfx/graphite2" is
52 > perfectly understandable, as are most other flags about features a
53 > "user" is likely to interact with. But for some of the more "system"
54 > type flags (see also that python/perl flag business from the recent
55 > months), I think the USE descriptions can stand some improvement.)
58 I agree with you (and not because my name is mentioned :-P).
59
60 I got lucky with USE "graphite": gcc's homepage is quite clear; a 15-minute
61 reading convinced me to try graphite. But there are still lots of other USE
62 flags that sent me on hours of goose-chase before I can enable/disable with
63 conviction.
64
65 I'm not sure where to put the more detailed explanations, though; perhaps a
66 $PN.usedesc file in the package's directory? Kind of a complement to the
67 .ebuild file(s).
68
69 Rgds,