From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Updating libpng: another libtool cockup?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:36:18
1 On Monday, 19. September 2011 10:20:25 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 19 2011, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > >> > revdep-rebuild checks everything, revdep-rebuild --library
4 > >> > checks just some things.
5 > >> >
6 > >> > ebuilds sometimes issue messages to check just the libraries known
7 > >> > to have been updated, but a full revdep-rebuild after an update
8 > >> > will catch those anyway.
9 > >>
10 > >> Until recently I skipped the "--library" step exactly because I knew
11 > >> revdep-rebuild will find and fix the broken packages after I delete
12 > >> the old library. So, why bother with the --library step, right?
13 > >>
14 > >> However. A few weeks ago I got caught when I deleted one of those
15 > >> obsolete libraries and only then did I find out that gcc is one of
16 > >> the packages that depend on it :(
17 > >>
18 > >> I don't skip the --library step any more.
19 > >
20 > > That's odd behaviour, I wonder what caused the difference.
21 > >
22 > > Surely revdep-rebuild itself can't do this different just because you
23 > > specified a library to compare? I wonder if that lib was maybe in the
24 > > revdep-rebuild exclude list.
25 > >
26 > > I'd be interested to track it down for reference, do you remember the
27 > > library involved?
28 >
29 > It occurs exactly in the case we are discussing libpng
30 >
31 > ajglap gottlieb # revdep-rebuild; revdep-rebuild --library
32 > '/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14' * Configuring search environment for
33 > revdep-rebuild
34 >
35 > * Checking reverse dependencies
36 > * Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
37 > * will be emerged.
38 > ...
39 > * Checking reverse dependencies
40 > * Packages containing binaries and libraries using
41 > /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14 * will be emerged.
42
43 First one emerges *broken* packages.
44 Second one emerge packages *using* png14 (not necessarily broken)
45
46 Best,
47 Michael