From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Google pop3 authentication failure
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 22:27:17
1 On 2022-06-29, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 02:47:16PM +0000, spareproject776 wrote
3 >>
4 >> They flushed all the app password creds and forced 2fa.
5 >> Need to go through the accounts.google.com login to recover.
6 >
7 > Sorry for the delay responding. I can login fine with my password on
8 > accounts.google.com but it does not work on pop.gmail.com.
9
10 Google disabled the use of normal passwords for IMAP and POP
11 authentication a year or so back.
12
13 [These days I say "a year or so back" that could be anything from 5
14 months to about 5 years. I think "a couple years ago" now averages at
15 about 7. "Five or six years ago" reaches back to the end of the
16 Clinton adminstration.]
17
18 > What exactly do I have to do to get it working again?
19
20 AFAIK, you've got two choices.
21
22 1. Use an "app password"
23
24 https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
25 https://www.lifewire.com/get-a-password-to-access-gmail-by-pop-imap-2-1171882
26
27 2. Use OAUTH 2.0
28
29 https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/xoauth2-protocol
30 https://oauth.net/2/
31
32 AIUI, the latter is considered more secure. But, a lot of applications
33 don't support OAUTH 2.0 (or if they do, it's via a complex
34 plugin/helper scheme). For mutt I looked into OAUTH, and it can be
35 done with some external helper applications. Creating an app password
36 for mutt to use with IMAP was much easier.
39 Grant