From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Block multiple IP addresses; iptables or route...reject?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 07:09:24
1 Hello,
2
3 On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 12:28 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > I have some doubts about massive "hosts" files for adblocking. I
5 > downloaded one that listed 13,148 sites. I fed them through a script
6 > that called "host" for each entry, and saved the output to a text file.
7 > The result was 1,059 addresses. Note that some adservers have multiple
8 > IP address entries for the same name. A back-of-the-envelope analysis
9 > is that close to 95% of the entries in the large host file are invalid,
10 > amd return "not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)".
11 >
12 > I'm not here to trash the people compiling the lists; the problem is
13 > that hosts files are the wrong tool for the job. Advertisers know about
14 > hosts files and deliberately generate random subdomain names with short
15 > lifetimes to invalidate the hosts files. Every week the sites are
16 > probably mostly renamed. Further analysis of the 1,059 addresses show
17 > 810 unique entries, i.e. 249 duplicates. It gets even better. 44
18 > addresses show up in 52.84.146.xxx; I should probably block the entire
19 > /24 with one entry. There are multiple similar occurences, which could
20 > be aggregated into small CIDRs. So the number of blocking rules is
21 > greatly reduced.
22 >
23 > I'm not a deep networking expert. My question is whether I'm better
24 > off adding iptables reject/drop rules or "reject routes", e.g...
27 If you want to filter connections based on IP, then use iptables or
28 the newer alternative, nftables. Nftables is faster and more
29 configurable.
30
31 I suggest the Wikipedia page before the documentation:
32 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nftables.
33
34 If you want to block advertisements, you should use a content aware
35 system that is integrated into a browser and that is maintained by
36 lots of people at the same time. You should also consider blocking
37 JavaScript.
38
39 Cheers,
40 R0b0t1