From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resolv.conf is different after every reboot
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:38:51
1 2014-07-27 22:13 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:33:47 +0300, Grand Duet wrote:
3 >
4 >> > That's what replaces it when eth0 comes up.
5 >> > It looks like eth0 is not being brought up fully
6 >>
7 >> It sounds logical. But how can I fix it?
8 >
9 > By identifying how far it is getting and why no further.
10 > But it appears that eth0 is being brought up correctly
11 > and then the config is overwritten by the lo config.
12
13 I think so.
14
15 As I have already reported in another reply to this thread,
16 it is my first reboot after commenting out the line
17 dns_domain_lo="mynetwork"
18 and so far it went good.
19
20 Moreover, the file /etc/resolv.conf has not been overwritten.
21
22 I still have to check if everything else works fine and
23 if I will get the same result on the next reboot
24 but I hope that the problem has been solved.
25
26 But it looks like a bug in the net csript.
27 Why lo configuration should overwrite eth0 configuration at all?
28
29 > I'd suggest going with the suggestion of disabling hotplugging for net.* interfaces.
30
31 Thank you for the advice, I will try this if it appears that the
32 problem has not been solved yet.
33
34 >> > what do your logs say?
35 >>
36 >> Could you, please, be more precise where to look for "logs".
37 >
38 > /var/log/messages, dmesg, the standard places.
39 >
40 >> > It might be worth putting logger commands in preup(),
41 >> > postup() and failup() in conf.d/net.
42 >>
43 >> Currently, I have no such functions in my /etc/conf.d/net file.
44 >> Shall I copy them there from
45 >> /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.2.2/net.example
46 >
47 > Yes, they are run are various stages of bringing up the interface.
48 >
49 >> Could you, please, be more specific on these "logger commands" too.
50 >
51 > I meant to add a logger call to each function to see how far it gets
52 >
53 > logger "eth0 going up"
54 > logger "eth0 up"
55 > logger "eth0 failed"
56 >
57 > or something like that. but it appears this is moot and eth0 is up
58 > successfully.
59
60 Thank you for this explanation as well. I will try it a bit later
61 but I feel that before doing it I should refresh my knowledge
62 of scripts in general.
63
64 >> > BTW, I'm not sure if it's still relevant, but I don't think you ever
65 >> > posted the contents of /etc/resolvconf.conf, if it exists.
66 >>
67 >> I do not have such file. Of course, if you do not mean /etc/resolv.conf
68 >> But I have posted its content above.
69 >
70 > I meant /etc/resolvconf.conf, which you were asked for before, but as
71 > you don't have it, the problem isn't there.
74 > --
75 > Neil Bothwick
76 >
77 > Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by moving to where you
78 > can't find them.