From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] whats going on with python versions?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 09:28:27
1 On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 05:08:10 -0400, John Covici wrote:
2
3 > In my last update which was about June 21 or so, lots of packages were
4 > reinstalled to make python3.6 the default target for python3. I don't
5 > have any targets like that in my make.conf, so it was done -- about
6 > 200 reinstalls.
7
8 It was a profile change.
9
10 > Now when I look at my latest update, a lot of them
11 > are going back to 3.5 instead. What is going on here -- are the devs
12 > a bit too hasty or what?
13
14 There were problems with some packages not being compatible with 3.6.
15 Since you have been running that profile for a while, it is unlikely you
16 are affected, so you can keep the default at 3.6 by adding this
17 to /etc/portage/profile/make.defaults
18
19 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python3_5 python3_6"
20 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="-python3_5 python3_6"
21
22 > I am on the unstable, but this is rediculous.
23
24 It's not ridiculous, it's exactly what the testing tree is for, to find
25 problems like this. The testing tree changes quickly, by its very nature,
26 leaving nearly three weeks between updates is probably a bit too long.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.