From: Ian Clowes <clowes_ian@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building Xorg - internal compiler error: segmentation fault
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:52:11
1 Frank Schafer wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > Somebody on b.g.o. suggests to try building with a vanilly kernel. Did
6 > someone here make the same experience and if yes, will it run then on a
7 > gentoo-kernel?
8
9 Hi
10
11 Not sure if you're talking in general about sig 11 on emerge, some
12 specific problem with Xorg.
13
14 Anyhow, I had this with various packages and found a few things helped:
15
16 - Once I had a sig 11 a restart of the emerge would seg fault very
17 soon. I suspected dodgy CPU or memory, so played with the cpuburn
18 package. Curiously I found that running MMXburn (I think it was called)
19 for a minute or so vastly extended how far into a build emerge would
20 get. I have no idea what this program actually does, but I assumed it
21 was heavily loading some memory or other so that when gcc started again
22 it was given a different chumk to what it was getting previously. But
23 that's all very hypothetical...
24
25 - I used the FEATURES="keepwork" emerge... so that the work area was
26 preserved and the emerge could continue from where it was. But this
27 takes up a lot of disk space uless you manually delete them or use
28 ebuild --clean once it's suceeded.
29
30 - Install ccache to 'dynamically' cache/preserve the guts of whatever
31 you're trying to build so that you don't need "keepwork". It's a bit
32 slower, but easier to manage.
33
34 - Do an emerge in a one line script something like this, so it'll loop
35 around until it succeeds (best used with the FEATURES or ccache idea):
36
37 while true; do emerge foo && break; done
38
39 HTH
40 IanC
41 --