From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] static nano - how to?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:03:37
1 Helmut Jarausch writes:
2
3 > from time to time I need to boot in 'single' mode.
4 > I'd like to use the nano editor in this case.
5 > But unfortunately it doesn't run since it cannot resolve the dynamic
6 > library libmagic.so.1
7
8 Probably because you have a separate /usr partition that is not mounted
9 in single user mode? In this case, copy /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1 to /lib/.
10
11 > How can I build a static version of nano?
12
13 There is a utility that can convert static binaries from dynamic ones:
14 http://www.magicermine.com/
15
16 It's not free, though. But there is a 15-day evaluation version you could
17 use. They state that they support Free Software and OSS, so I guess they
18 would be okay with this. The author also seems to be a nice guy, I
19 exchanged some mails with him years ago because I looked for such a
20 utility. But I did not buy it because the price (300€) was higher than my
21 need for it.
22
23 Another utility is ELF STATIFIER (http://statifier.sourceforge.net/).
24 It's free, but it seems to have some problems with stack or VDSO
25 randomization.
26
27 Wonko