From: Andrea Momesso <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Turn off usb power on demand
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:13:57
1 On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:11:00 +0100, Andrea Momesso wrote:
4 >
5 > > I only need this disk once a day, when a cron job mounts it, makes
6 > > some backups, and then umounts it.
7 >
8 > > I'd save a lot of electrical power (and I think also disk health) if
9 > > I was able to turn on and off electrical power from the usb
10 > > port.
11 >
12 > You could use hdparm to put the drive to sleep.
15 I get something like this:
16
17 cubotto ~ # hdparm -Y /dev/sdb
18
19 /dev/sdb:
20 issuing sleep command
21 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(sleep) failed: Invalid exchange
27 > --
28 > Neil Bothwick
29 >
30 > Amoebit: Amoeba/rabbit cross; it can multiply and divide at the same time.
36 Momesso (TopperH) Andrea
37 http://topperh.blogspot.com
38 Jabber: topper_harley@××××××.org
39 ICQ: 224179391