From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:05:12
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
4 >> 2010/8/27 J. Roeleveld<joost@××××××××.org>:
5 >>
6 >>> On Friday 27 August 2010 09:49:41 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> On 08/27/2010 10:37 AM, Dale wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> My theory is something like this: hda will become sda; hdb will become
11 >>>>> sdb; hdc will become sdc; hdd will become sdd; and sda will become sde.
12 >>>>> Would that be a logical expectation?
13 >>>>>
14 >>>> I'd say sda will stay as is, hda will become sdb, and so forth.
15 >>>>
16 >> This entirely depends on the way your BIOS orders your drivers, as far
17 >> as I know. It could be either way. But, we all know how flexible grub
18 >> is. You can just use TAB to autocomplete and try. All you need to boot
19 >> is your root fs, after that fdisk -l will reveal all the info you
20 >> need. fstab is another story, that might cost you an extra reboot into
21 >> a livecd to fix it.
22 >
23 > Another thing that I hadn't thought of, grub. I didn't even think
24 > about grub would have to be edited. That would have been interesting
25 > when I tried to boot up.
26
27 You just need to feed linux with the right parameters, so it finds the
28 root filesystem. Grub id's themselves should remain the same, I suppose.
29
30 Also, as GRUB allows you to edit commandlines, you can do this by trial
31 and error (but a good initial guess is still worth it).
32
33
34 --
35 Nuno J. Silva