From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a minimalistic system
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:13:34
1 On 20 January 2007 20:23, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
2 > On 1/20/07, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
3 > > One good thing (among others) of using a real desktop environment is that
4 > > all apps share the vast majority of libraries which are loaded into
5 > > memory just once. When you mix environments or use an eclectic
6 > > collection of unrelated apps, they all draw in different libraries and
7 > > memory usage goes up.
8 >
9 > With this in mind, would running a (few) GTK apps on KDE make a large
10 > difference? For instance, I am quite fond of Gaim, and even if I were
11 > to try KDE, I wouldn't want to give it up (though I heard Kopette is
12 > comparably capable).
13
14 If one is short of ram, it makes a difference, though GTK isn't much of a
15 problem. If you run one single GNOME app under KDE, it pulls in a lot of
16 GNOME libraries - and vice versa.
17
18 Ue
21 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
22 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
23 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
24 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list