From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python-2.5.2-r7 build problems
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:34:39
1 On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:20:28 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > You have more aggressive flags on the failing machine, have you tried
4 > > using the more conservative (less ricey) flags?
5
6 > I have not and intend to do that today. The flags have been set like
7 > this since 2003 so I'm surprised that it might be something like this
8 > but it's clearly possible.
9 >
10 > I'm unqualified to say what part of the differences is making this set
11 > more aggressive. Line by line what's your opinion?
12 >
13 > -O3 vs -O2 ?
14
15 Not much difference.
16
17 > -march=athlon-xp vs -march=i686
18
19 The former is better, providing you're using an AthlonXP.
20
21 > -funroll-loops
22
23 You only have to look at http://funroll-loops.org/ to know this is a bad
24 option...
25
26 > not using -fomit-frame-pointer
27
28 That's pretty safe, the frame-pointer isn't much use anyway if you're
29 compiling without debug symbols, which most build do by default.
30
31 > Strange taht after 6-years this would come up but stranger thing happen.
32
33 Indeed.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Obscenity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.