From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to set up a website
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 17:54:02
1 On 19 March 2020 18:19:38 CET, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >Hello list,
3 >
4 >I want to set up a web server on a local box, and I'm following the
5 >Gentoo
6 >guide[1]. I'd like two sites: one under /var/www/localhost and the
7 >other under
8 >/var/www/mydomain, in which mydomain is registered to me.
9 >
10 >The main problem I'm having is that all the Gentoo documents I've found
11 >assume
12 >far too much familiarity with apache. I've installed NextCloud using
13 >webapp-
14 >config; this is the layout:
15 >
16 >$ tree -L 3 /var/www
17 >/var/www
18 >├── localhost
19 >│ └── htdocs
20 >│ ├── fcgid-bin
21 >│ ├── index.orig
22 >│ └── index.php
23 >└── mydomain
24 > ├── cgi-bin
25 > ├── error
26 > ├── htdocs
27 > │ ├── cloud
28 > │ ├── fcgid-bin
29 > │ ├── index.orig
30 > │ └── index.php
31 > └── icons
32 >
33 >Is this a suitable layout? Once I get past this I may be asking for
34 >help with
35 >/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/* .
36 >
37 >1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apache
38 >
39 >--
40 >Regards,
41 >Peter.
42
43 Is there a specific reason you are using Apache?
44 I found it far simpler to use Nginx when dealing with different websites, incl. seperate SSL certificates per site even though it is 1 server and public IP.
47 Joost
48 --
49 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.