From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 11:00:50
1 On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 16:42:14 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 08/01/20 09:26, Mick wrote:
3 > > The OS Product Key for a Win 7 will not work on a Win 10, unless the free
4 > > upgrade option had been performed before July 2016. At least it has not
5 > > worked here ... You'll need a Product Key, Digital License, or a
6 > > Microsoft
7 > > Account which has been linked to an activated Windows 10 Digital License.
8 >
9 > I don't know what the date MS announced was, but this tactic certainly
10 > worked after that - I did it myself. The key statement there is "NEVER
11 > been used". If MS recognises the key, it will fail.
12
13 This is interesting! By a Win7 key which has "never been used" do you mean
14 not even used for activating the Win7 OS? Or never been used to upgrade Win7
15 to Win10?
18 > (I'm actually going to have a crack at it myself again, I've just
19 > acquired a Win7 laptop - nice spec - that's pretty much unaltered
20 > original so I'm guessing it's never been re-installed and the key used.)
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Wol
24
25 Please let us know how this goes. I have Win7 & Win8.1 installations on
26 various laptops and these were not upgraded to Win10 before the expiry
27 deadline of Jul 2016 and could potentially use them on VMs for testing.
28 --
29 Regards,
30
31 Mick