From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What the devil?!! [or Plasma teething problems Ia.]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 15:07:09
1 On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:42:56 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday, 27 June 2019 10:55:16 BST Mick wrote:
5 >
6 > > The next thing to try:
7 > >
8 > > I don't have elogind starting up as a boot level rc service,
9 > > because it is launched when needed by dbus or pam. Perhaps if
10 > > elogind is running as a background service sddm will (re)launch
11 > > differently?
12 >
13 > I just tried it and it works. :-)
14 >
15 > With elogind running as a boot service, sddm launches with the
16 > Shutdown/Reboot buttons shown and they work as expected. However, as
17 > I do not have a /usr/ bin/loginctl, all I can assume is irrespective
18 > of the HaltCommand path specified in the default sddm config, when
19 > launched sddm searches all paths and eventually finds /bin/loginctl,
20 > which it runs when a button is pressed.
21 >
22 > As we've established with no -elogind +consolekit the commands
23 > specified in the default sddm config file are different. Also, with
24 > consolekit being a default rc service, it is running at the time sddm
25 > is launched.
26
27 I use openrc, so I have sddm installed with -elogind -systemd
28 +consolekit +pam. Putting consolekit in the default runlevel does make
29 the buttons work the first time sddm is launched, on reboot.
30
31 Without the conosolekit service in the default runlevel, the buttons
32 are greyed out after reboot, but restarting xdm some time after booting,
33 still without consolekit running, makes the buttons come alive and
34 work. So there's something in play other than consolekit for me.
35
36 (I don't actually need to sort this out -- I'm just curious.)