From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] accelerate emerge
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:40:38
1 On 2/27/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
2 > El Nino wrote:
3 >
4 > > is there a way to accelerate the fetching part of emerge
5 > > by using prozilla or some other tool?
6 >
7 > I never quite understood the sense in those tools.
8 >
9 > Why should "prozilla or some other tool" make the
10 > download be faster? When I download something with
11 > wget, or watch emerge invoking wget, it's always
12 > maxing out the saturation of the line.
15 Well, if you have a high bandwidth line, like 8MB ADSL for example,
16 the host providing the download usually limit your download speed
17 reserving some band to other requests. If you could "teach" portage to
18 fetch pieces (like some other tools do) from different mirrors till
19 you saturate your line, your download would be considerably faster
20 (all your band would be used).
21
22 So, lets say I can use a program and tell it to use the GENTOO_MIRRORS
23 variable to download various pieces of the same file (reaching the
24 mirror servers limit and after a while your band limit), this would
25 ensure you would always use the max band you can... I think I saw some
26 tool over the net that could do that... Maybe wget itself....
27
28 /me go read the man pages...
31 Daniel da Veiga
32 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil