From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:19:20
1 On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> I can understand that things like example code blocks or sample
7 >> command input/output blocks might need to be wide enough to require
8 >> horizontal scrolling of a browser window, but normal text paragraphs
9 >> with 160 characters per line?
10 >
11 > I'm not seeing a problem here. Sure, the lines are long but my screen
12 > is large and my resolution is high. A quick play with firefox and konq
13 > shows that the text reformats itself quite elegantly when you resize
14 > your browser window to say, 2/3 of screen width.
15
16 I'm using firefox, and the text doesn't reformat for me. I just end
17 up with a change in the size of the horizontal scrollbar. Are you
18 sure you're looking at the same pages I was talking about?
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2
22
23 > I think that's a better solution than imposing some arbitrary line
24 > length on everyone no matter their screen size and resolution.
25
26 Yes, that would be fine if, in fact, it worked. But it doesn't.
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Wow! Look!! A stray
30 at meatball!! Let's interview
31 gmail.com it!