From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] trying to set up fonts in Xorg-7.2 + Firefox-2
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 03:50:48
1 I just got done setting up the Xorg-7.2 and Fluxbox, and after
2 compiling and running Firefox-2 for the first time, I found that the
3 default font set-up wasn't to my liking. It looked strange and
4 wouldn't produce any boldfaces in Gmail. So I followed a "Howto Xorg
5 and Fonts - Gentoo Linux Wiki", and my font paths for Xorg currently
6 have:
7
8 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
9 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
10 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/"
11 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/freefonts/"
12 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/sharefonts/"
13 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/terminus/"
14 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera/"
15 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/unifont/"
16 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
17 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
18 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/"
19 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/intlfonts/"
20
21 I removed the "/usr/share/fonts/TTF" and "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
22 entries that were in my /etc/xorg.conf, since I did not find those
23 directories in my /usr/share/fonts directory.
24
25 In Firefox-2 advanced fonts & colors menu, I set proportional to Serif
26 (16), serif to bitstream vera serif, sans-serif to bitstream vera
27 sans, and monospace to bitstream vera sans mono (12).
28
29 However, I notice no change from the original Firefox-2 font
30 appearance, unless I check the "always use my fonts" option. When I
31 "always use my fonts", I get boldfaces in Gmail, etc, which is good,
32 but the default font size in Firefox is still too small, and I always
33 need to click on View->Text Size -> Increase.
34
35 I would like my Firefox fonts under Xorg to look more or less like my
36 Firefox fonts under Windows ;) How did some of you deal with
37 customizing fonts in Firefox?
38
39 And how can I make the font in Firefox menus and URL bar larger?
40
41 Thanks, and I apologize in advance if my questions are too simplistic
42 or have already been asked many times before...
43
44 -Denis
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list