From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:20:36
1 On 12/8/09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Let me emphasise yet again: the way I do things has been successful
3 >> on 2 machines for more than 6 years; it's others who have problems
4 >> doing it their way & regularly seek advice on this list as a result.
5 >
6 > Let me correct you there:
7 >
8 > The experienced old hands here almost uniformly do not have such problems.
9 > It's the n00bs who don't grok portage just yet, or don't know to look inside
10 > ebuilds when the ebuild goes wonky, who have such problems. The classic
11 > cause of problems is mixing stable and testing
12
13 I think Mr. Webb might be running his gentoo systems like they were
14 some Slackware boxes. I sure run mine like they were Windows/Red
15 Hat/Ubuntu mongrels. Praise the FSM and his noodly appendages for live
16 cds, for times when installs go bad! :)
17
18 "Dependency management is left up to the sysadmin, and that's the way
19 we like it." [1]
20
21 [1] http://www.slackbook.org/html/package-management.html
22
23 Habits learned on other systems (Red Hat, Slackware, Ubuntu, OS X, MS
24 Windows etc) are hard to "un-learn" if they don't break anything in
25 your current system. You just keep on trucking like before.
28 Arttu V.