From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Preparing a shared USB stick
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 21:26:15
1 On 01/04/2014 05:21 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 05/01/2014 02:42, walt wrote:
3 >> On 01/04/2014 03:44 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> FAT was designed for MS-DOS where you put a floppy in the drive and you
6 >>> had full access to everything on it. There was no need to implement
7 >>> security.
8 >>
9 >> I think the operative phrase is "there was no need" back when Gates and
10 >> Allen trained the world to accept failure as good enough.
17 > I don't think so. This was back in the early 80s remember and PCs were a
18 > new novelty. The thing to compare them to was paper records and we all
19 > know bits of paper have no inherent security attributes. If you want to
20 > secure them, keep them in a space with a lock. To secure a PC and it's
21 > floppies, store them in a space with a lock.
22 >
23 > And then there's the hardware, those things ran on 8086 chips. Not bad
24 > for the time, but not exactly heavy on cpu grunt.
25 >
26 > You can't seriously be pushing the line that MS promotes failure. gates
27 > and Allen had the balls to get a working pc to market that put one on
28 > every office desk and made computing ubiquitous. Sure, if they didn't do
29 > it someone else would have, but they are the guys that did when no-one
30 > else had managed. Think Amstrad, Sinclair, early Commodore. Even the
31 > Beeb, awesome as it was, tanked completely.
32 >
33 > It's all very easy for us to sit back today and play monday morning
34 > fullback but in those days hardly anyone had a clue about security or
35 > how to do it. The guys who did know were the mainframe and mini guys,
36 > and that model didn't translate to what the PC was meant for.
37 >
38 > Hey, I like to bash MS as much as the next guy (IE6 is a crime that
39 > shall never be forgiven)
40
41 LOL!
42
43 > but I do think we should bash MS for things
44 > they deserve, not so much for things they don't.
45
46 Okay, okay, you're absolutely right about the early-early days.
47
48 I'm thinking about the era when GM's CEO complained that if GM made
49 cars the way Bill made software (I paraphrase) then tow-truck drivers
50 would be millionaires.
51
52 For several years the IT people where I work have been making hundreds
53 of lives a living hell because failure is greeted every day with a shrug
54 and a hostile apology,
55
56 I *do* blame M$ for setting the bar that low, though not in the early
57 days, I agree.