From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} smartctl: read failure
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:11:44
1 On 08/09/2009 03:15 PM, Grant wrote:
2 > I get this on my laptop's internal HDD:
3 >
4 > # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
5 > Num Test_Description Status Remaining
6 > LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
7 > # 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 60% 12400
8 > 149547192
9 >
10 > after some Googling, it sounds like it's bad sectors and not
11 > necessarily cause for alarm. Does anyone have experience with this
12 > type of error? Can you suggest other tests to run, or comment on the
13 > severity of the error?
14
15 I have a disk that seemed very flakey in the lowest 10GB or so, even
16 when it was relatively new. I ran e2fsck with the -c and -k flags over
17 a period of time, and now I can use all of the disk with no apparent
18 problems.
19
20 You should read the man pages for e2fsck and badblocks before doing
21 anything, of course.
22
23 I've heard that SMART in newer disks is supposed to substitute bad
24 block automatically, but I don't seem to have any disks that new.
25 (Informed advice is very welcome :o)