From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:42:11
1 On Sunday 01 November 2009 01:29:27 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > So I think this thread addresses a question I've had about the kernel
3 > installation process over the years. I only copy bzImage to /boot with
4 > a rename to whatever this kernel is. I don't do anything with the
5 > other files - System.map and something else - which I don't even have
6 > on most of my systems anymore. They don't seem to be needed. Are they
7 > just things used in the old days but now too outdated or replaced by
8 > other stuff? (Like config.gz in the kernel, etc.)
11 just run
12
13 make && make modules_install && make install
14
15 and everything gets moved to /boot and renamed. Don't worry about extra files,
16 they're small and not worthy of concern
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com