From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 01:07:13
1 On 2015-08-27, Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I much prefer chainloading and giving each distro free reign over their
4 > own boot loader. That way they can pretend they're the boss and work the
5 > way they were intended to and I can supervise things from gentoo.
6
7 Yup. I've got up to 12 Linux distros on some machines, and I've found
8 that approach works far, far better that allowing multiple distros to
9 fight over who gets to configure a single bootloader. A small grub
10 partition for the files needed by grub1 in the MBR, and then each
11 partition is a world unto itself with it's own bootloader that gets
12 managed by whatever distro is installed on that partion.
13
14 That used to be trivial, but it's getting a more difficult to do that
15 these with some distros refusing to install a bootloader anywhere
16 other than the MBR. [That's just one of an increasing number of
17 reasons for my increasing dislike of Fedora/CentOS/RH.] It's still a
18 lot easier than letting multiple distros all think they own the MBR
19 bootloader. I've never had much luck with that at all.
22 Grant