From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about updating /etc/portage/package.use
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:28:17
1 On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> I ran "emerge -p --deep --update world" on a machine, and got...
4 >>
5 >> ====================================================================
6 >> * IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/portage/package.use' needs updating.
7 >> * See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
8 >> * man page to learn how to update config files.
9 >>
10 > <SNIP>
11 >> I read that section of the emerge man page, and it talks about
12 >> CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK. The tone of the message seems
13 >> to indicate there is something wrong with my /etc/portage/package.use
14 >> file. But I can't figure out what the problem is. Can somebody please
15 >> explain it in plain English?
16 >>
17 >> --
18 >> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 >> I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
22 > Post package.use please.
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Mark
26
27 Also, what version of portage are you using?
28
29 Note that I've never seen this message and other than adds and deletes
30 haven't changed my package.use file in I don't know how long.
31
32 - Mark