From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 20:33:39
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 24/12/19 18:35, Dale wrote:
3 >> I'll try to see if I can get the actual error here in a bit, either a
4 >> picture or the actual text. I only need one line because it is the same
5 >> for them all except the name and path of the file.
6 > I've just had an idea ...
7 >
8 > I think it was on LWN they were talking about how a directory scan on
9 > linux can take absolutely ages, because as it goes through it pulls
10 > everything into cache and knackers the system. (Which is why a lot of
11 > programs go through the grief of using direct rather than buffered io.)
12 >
13 > Not sure which developer it was, but they've brought in a new mode which
14 > leaves cache untouched (sort of). If it can retrieve the file from
15 > cache, it does so. If it's not in cache, it pulls it in, processes it,
16 > and drops it. That way the cache does not fill up with recently accessed
17 > files that are never going to be touched again, and your system doesn't
18 > start swapping like mad to save all this unwanted data.
19 >
20 > Maybe when that is enabled in plasmashell it'll fix the problem ... how
21 > big is this directory that's being scanned? If it's similar or larger in
22 > size to your ram that could be the problem. Even if it's rather less, if
23 > other programs are using up your ram ...
24 >
25 > Cheers,
26 > Wol
31 I think it is indexing/caching/something that requires it to look at
32 every single file in there plus all the levels below it.  If so, that
33 would be a huge task. Here is some info on that but I did post it a bit
34 ago.  It was sort of nested in one of the posts.
35
36 23.5 GiB 154,090 files, 8,567 sub-folders
37
38 Some NASA pics can get large at times. Some I have are quite small.
39 Still, it's a LOT of files.
40
41 Dale
42