From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:58:39
1 On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:43:25 +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2
3 > I'd done this experiment sometime ago, and I had sent a mail here as
4 > well regarding which load average does make account for.
5 > A couple of packages started failing compile and it turns out that
6 > they don't work well with the infinite jobs that make --jobs spawns.
7 >
8 > It's better to limit the number of jobs to 2*CPUs (or cores) with a
9 > load control like --load-average=N where N is number of CPUs.
10
11 That makes sense, I've altered my settings to
12
13 % grep jobs /etc/portage/make.conf
14 MAKEOPTS="--jobs 16 --load 10"
15 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--alphabetical --jobs --load-average 12"
16
17 and two of the previously troublesome packages, libreoffice and
18 virtualbox, now work with no override.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 One difference between a man and a machine is that a machine is quiet
25 when well oiled.