From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] addusr (gentoo v. fedora)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:40:01
1 On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:10:45 +0000, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
2
3 > Pardon, but I'm not clear on this command, apparently. Coming from
4 > fedora, I could just create a user, change the password, login, and
5 > everything would be set. However, gentoo doesn't create
6 > /home/user_name ?
7
8 Use the -m/--create-home option.
9
10 > No problem, I created that directory. However,
11 > "startx" as that user gives errors.
12
13 Did you create the directory as root? If so, did you do
14 "chown user: ~user" afterwards? If not, the user would not be able to
15 write to the home directory, resulting in the errors you describe.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.