From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade: openldap/perl error...
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:32:35
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 >> !!! You must have a complete (USE='-minimal') Perl install
3 >> to use the perl backend!
4 >
5 > Does your make.conf have minimal in USE? If so, that is probably a
6 > bad idea. If there are specific packages you want to build with
7 > minimal (like x.org), you should use /etc/portage/package.use for
8 > that.
9
10 Thank your for your help. I have put "dev-lang/perl -minimal"
11 in my package.use, and doing "emerge -eav" again...
12
13 Concerning your opinion about minimal-flag:
14 I do have "minimal" and "-*" in global USE flags and I think
15 it is a good idea. Something that belongs to "gentoo spirit":
16 to start with minimum, and slowly add only functions which
17 I really want and need (something similar are good firewall
18 rules: start with everything denied, and open only what
19 you really need)...
20
21 Of course, sometimes one can hit the wall when the things
22 do not work as expected (like when I emerged mysql with
23 minimal flag, and it was not server, only client).
24
25 But this disadvantage is definitely worth having clean
26 and compact system, and that is what I like on gentoo.
27 After all, there are experienced users on list, who can
28 always help... :-)
29
30 Jarry
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list