From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Email client for a SLOW connection
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:00:43
1 On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 03:42:04PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-10-21, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm on an excruciatingly slow internet connection right now.
5 > > The email client seems to be the major productivity blocker.
6 > > Thunderbird spends a lot of time loading or whatever and
7 > > squirrelmail is just slow. Would something like mutt be an
8 > > improvement?
9 >
10 > I've used mutt over a 14Kbps link with latencies in the
11 > 200-300ms range. You'll need to configure it so that it doesn't
12 > check for new mail very often, and limit the number of
13 > mailboxes it's checking for incoming mail. You'll also want to
14 > make sure that header caching is enabled. I think the cache
15 > supoprt is built by default these days, but you'll need to
16 > enable it by setting the header_cache configuration variable in
17 > your .muttrc file so that it points to the file where you want
18 > the header cache database stored.
19 >
20 I have to 2nd the mutt recommendation. Been using it for years as my
21 only email client. (Works well with a fast connection, too!)
22
23 festus
26 Reputation's changeable. Situation's tolerable.
27 But Baby you're adorable. Handle me with Care.