From: Wayn0 <wayn0.ml@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FreeAgent extn. Drive setup ideas
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:34:38
1 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I just got a 500G FreeAgent (Seagate) drive.
5 > I have it working via ivman:
6 >
7 > /dev/sdb1 466G 144M 466G 1% /media/FreeAgent Drive
8 >
9 > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bc2:3000 Seagate RSS LLC
10 >
11 > I'm able to cd into it's directory tree and read various
12 > files.
15 > I assume it has NTFS by default. I have all of the legacy
16 > doz file systems enabled along with idonify in the kernel.
19 > I want to use it on both gentoo and windows systems
20 > for a variety of tasks. What the best way to set it up
21 > (ideas) so as to ensure what I copy onto the drive,
22 > form either gentoo or xp I can copy off onto a gento
23 > or XP based system? Should I delete any of the original
24 > stuff that Seagate installs on the drive?
25 >
26 > Also, I'm thinking about a udev rule or fstab entry
27 > on the gentoo system to uniquely identify the drive
28 > as I often attach several usb(stick or drive) devices
29 > to one system at any given time; so I'm looking for
30 > a scheme that they will each be unquely recognized (Labeled?
34 > any caveats?
38 > James
44 Most, in fact all of the external drives I have used come formatted with
45 fat32 standard even the 500GB iomega I recently bought.
46
47 So copying between OSes should not be a problem :-)
48
49 Wayn0
50 --
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list