From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm in a Pickle
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 19:29:05
1 On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Happy Holidays, Everyone,
3 >
4 > To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
5 > issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
6 > Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
7 > monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
8 > screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
9 > the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
10 > button.  This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
11 >
12 > Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
13 > KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
14 > anything.  So, I held the power button to cause a reboot.  The computer
15 > booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
16 > the mouse work.
17 >
18 > Any ideas?
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 >
22 > Colleen
23 >
24 > --
25 >
26 > Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
31 I got burned by this one also. re-emerge all the xf86 module stuff for
32 your keyboard, etc. I've got it all in my module-rebuild -C rebuild
33 list. Once you do that you'll likely be OK.
34
35 You''ll either want to ssh in to do this or you might want to reboot,
36 modifying your boot kernel line adding gentoo=nox to not start X at
37 all, re-emerge and then start X to test.
38
39 Good luck,
40 Mark