From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone running a Netbook satisfactorily on Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:36:02
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > 1. run xfce4 (already do)
6 > > 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
7 > > 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
8 > > 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
9 > > 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
10 > > 6. use elevator=noop at boot
11 > > 7. deactivate DRI
12 > > 8. upgrade RAM to the max
13
14 > Which of these still apply when using a conventional HD instead of a
15 > SSD in the netbook?
16
17 If the drive is indeed a bottle neck (use bonnie or bonnie++ to test)
18 then try to NFS mount all voluminous log files.
21 Prune the kernel, really small, it always helps.
22
23 It may need "swap" space on the drive (be careful with this and research it.
24
25 Make sure you active all of the hardware features of the cpu.
26
27 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel
28 or
29 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/AMD
32 Lean out what you autostart at boot time.
33
34 LESS is better if you bog down the processor or ram or SSD.
35
36 hth,
37 James