From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:22:33
1 Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 >> Technically, they did, it was just impossible for an OS to make it
3 >> actually work:
4 >>
5 >> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2009/04/02/9528175.aspx
9 >> And you certainly don't want to make the user go through this
10 >> training session when they unpack their computer on Christmas
11 >> morning. "Thank you for using Window 95. Before we begin, please
12 >> insert a floppy disk in drive A:."
13 >
14 > I wish they would have tought of that when they forced users to activate
15 > and/or register Windows.
16 >
17 > "Thank you for using Window XP. Before we begin, please enter your 100
18 > digit serial number"
23 I had to replace a mobo and hard drive for a friend once. For some
24 reason the drive and controller went out. Anyway, when we reinstalled
25 winders, it said we had to call M$ to get some long freaking number.
26 While on the phone with them, I told them I had never heard of such
27 nonsense before. She progressed to telling me all the canned responses
28 but she didn't expect my response. I told her I used Linux and when you
29 get a CD and install it on more than one system, the Linux folks have a
30 party instead of requiring a confirmation number. I then went on to
31 explain how I was doing this for a friend and that I wouldn't install M$
32 crap on my rig if it was free. I could tell she was not happy about my
33 thoughts on her product since she got quiet. Me being a chatter box at
34 times, I just kept explaining the advantages of Linux over M$.
35
36 I got my number tho. My friend is happy. I have converted a few people
37 over to Linux since then too. She just thought she hated me back then.
38 lol
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
46 how you interpreted my words!
47
48 Miss the compile output? Hint:
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"