From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia driver 177.80 + xorg 1.5.1 + Compiz
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:47:59
1 Nicola wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 > Somebody out there try to set up the latest xorg server (and all the ~x86
4 > dependency) the latest nvidia driver and compiz?
5 > I would like to try, but my latest attempt three weeks ago caused same crazy
6 > problems (X didn't start at all), and I am not so crazy to do the same
7 > mistake twice in a row, without some prior advices. Well in my latest attempt
8 > I used xorg 1.4.2 and 173.14 nvidia drivers (I don't like Marked beta
9 > software).
10
11 I may have had the same problem a week ago. X would start, kdm would
12 let me log in, but just about when the kde desktop would finish loading
13 kde would quit back to kdm. Couldn't find any hint in /var/log.
14 Started backing out various things ended up getting the system working
15 again by masking hal 0.5.11:
16
17 # cat /etc/portage/package.mask/monolithic
18 =sys-fs/encfs-1.4.2
19 ~sys-apps/hal-0.5.11
20 =media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p27725
23 At the time I was suspecting that hal 0.5.11 was requiring evdev (which
24 with 20+ hours of unsuccessfully trying to get it to work over the last
25 year, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the culprit).
26
27 Haven't had time to dig further.
28
29 HTH,