From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:09:16
1 On 22/09/2015 18:42, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:03:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> The intended workflow is that if you emerge something, you know what it
5 >> is, you don't have to make further decisions about it and you want it in
6 >> world.
7 >>
8 >> @world, by definition, is the list of packages you want. That plus
9 >> @system plus all deps constitutes the set of what should be on the
10 >> system, anything you have not in that set is subject to depcleaning
11 >>
12 >> If you are not sure about some package, by all means emerge it with -1.
13 >> Check it out, verify it, make sure it does what you want then get it in
14 >> world with emerge -n. Why would you want to have stuff around for
15 >> extended periods that is not in world?
16 >>
17 >> If you have a package that you no longer want (as you know what is in
18 >> your world right), unmerge it with -C
19 >>
20 >> Don't make life difficult for yourself. It's MUCH easier to know what's
21 >> in world than to try and remember what should be and isn't.
22 >
23 > I take a different approach, I have a set called temp in my world_sets. If
24 > I want to try something out, I "echo cat/pkg >>/etc/portage/sets/temp"
25 > then I can try it and keep it updated during the trial and not have to
26 > worry about its deps. All I need to do is look at the temp file from time
27 > to time and remove anything I no longer want, then it gets depcleaned
28 > along with its dependencies.
29 >
30 > Putting --oneshot is the defaults is fine as long as you remember to
31 > emerge -n anything you know you want. I've been using Gentoo for so long
32 > that I automatically add -1 without thinking about it even when using -p!
33
34 That can also work. I thought of maybe suggesting it later in the thread
35 but you got in there first.
36
37 Either way the owner of a Gentoo system still has to keep track on what
38 he wants to be on it.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com