From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT. Building a rig. Want to get opinions before spending $$$
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 03:30:21
1 On Friday 26 November 2010, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > One thing to keep in mind w/ power supplies is that you don't want to run
5 > them normally at more than X% of peak capacity -- most of them have a
6 > sweet spot in load where they are rated for efficiency and noise. Choose
7 > your power supply based on that load % rather than max required wattage.
8 > Most of the vendor websites will have a graph of power/noise versus
9 > wattage.
10 >
11 > For a new system which you may keep around for 5-10 years and upgrade as
12 > time goes by, I'd consider putting in a ~800W unit which hopefully you'll
13 > run at under 50% load.
14
15 The stuff Dale wants tro buy wouldn't even reach 250ł AT FULL LOAD.
16
17 Even my rig - hotter, doesn't reach 300W when I artificially torture the
18 system. Normal 'max' load is in 200W range. An normal desktop? Under 100.
19
20 You don't want to get to far below 20% PSU load or efficiency is shot.
21
22 So an 800W PSU is stupid in every regard. 650 is way to big. 450 is good
23 enough. 400W might even be good enough.
24
25 > I've had very good experience with OCZ models.
26
27 Aren't those rebranded Seasonics?
28
29 > The 800W is based on some reading I had done that indicated that newer
30 > motherboards/cpu's/+higher end video cards would bring power util in the
31 > ~400-500W range. I'm sure you can google for your own calculator.
32
33 which are all powered by PSU sellers...
36 > I'm not that familiar with the other components you listed, but I've
37 > definitely had better experience w/ Kingston ram than crucial, and
38 > thermaltake makes good cases and chassis accessories. For motherboards,
39 > I've always been partial to ASUS or Gigabyte for workstations/desktops.
40
41 my current ASUS board is a piece of shit. Two repairs because the board loves
42 to fry the bios chip. When the box is on but not used for a while, it might
43 lock up completely. So completely I had to remove the battery and set the bios
44 jumper to get it back working. Asus has become worse than their daughter
45 Asrock.
46 Nothing bad to say about Gigabyte. I am still waiting for a reply from their
47 support. Send the mail 12 years ago ;)