From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and VPN, plus security in generla
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 10:55:07
1 On Saturday 11 Jun 2016 21:04:27 Dale wrote:
2 > Dutch Ingraham wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 05:57:11PM -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > >> been wondering about. It mentioned using a VPN so that the NSA, my ISP
5 > >> and others couldn't "see" what was going on. So, my first question,
6 > >> does that work and does it require the site on the other end to have it
7 > >> set up as well? Bonus question, is it easy to use on any site if it
8 > >> doesn't require the other end to use it? I'm thinking of using this for
9 > >> my banking/financial sites as well if it is a good idea.
10 > >
11 > > I tried a VPN for banking; as many different source IPs were showing as
12 > > attempting to log into my online account, the bank thought I was being
13 > > hacked and locked my accounts. Took many trips to the bank to create
14 > > all new accounts, etc.
15 > >
16 > > As to VPNs in general, see:
17 > >
18 > > http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/aiming-for-anonymity-ars-assesses-> > the-state-of-vpns-in-2016/
19 > I sort of have a vague idea of what a VPN is but maybe some reading will
20 > do me some good. Heading over to this link.
21 >
22 > Thanks.
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
27
28 A VPN connection is nothing more than an encrypted network connection between
29 two end points (local & remote peers). You set up an encrypted tunnel and
30 your application data travels through it. Both peers' network configurations
31 have to be set up for this purpose. The VPN tunnel could be set up with
32 another peer for the purpose of communicating securely with that peer alone,
33 or to another device the remote peer will forward your packets to. In the
34 latter case the VPN peer is acting as a VPN gateway to whatever lies beyond.
35 Site to Site VPN connections behave like this.
36
37 There are a number of different types of VPN, each employing different methods
38 to exchange encryption keys between the peers securely and then to set up a
39 secure network tunnel using these keys. L2TP+IPSec, OpenSSL, IKEv1/2+IPSec,
40 etc. are all different VPN types.
41
42 VPNs can be deployed for different use cases:
43
44 Typically you set up a VPN to achieve site-to-site secure network
45 communications - e.g. between your own LAN and your brother's, between a
46 company's head office and a satellite office, etc. You would normally set
47 this up between two edge routers which have a compatible VPN capability. Your
48 Linksys may have VPN in its firmware, or if you flush it with dd-
49 wrt/openwrt/tomato/etc. you will have VPN capability at your end at least.
50
51 VPNs are also used to achieve PC-to-site secure communications, e.g. between a
52 employee's laptop, iPhone, EPOS, et al., and the company's LAN. This is also
53 known as a roadwarrior configuration and you could use it if you had a laptop
54 and wanted to e.g. access some files on your home server.
55
56 If you combine VPN tunnelling with packet forwarding then you could use the
57 remote VPN gateway or another forwarding server in the LAN behind it, as a
58 proxy server for your general Internet connections. Your connection to the
59 VPN gateway will be encrypted and therefore your connection to the VPN gateway
60 will be secure, even if you happen to be using an unsecured WiFi connection to
61 the Internet at your local Starbux. The connection forwarded from the proxy
62 server to the Internet may or may not be secure, depending on the application
63 level encryption (e.g. HTTPS) that you are using at the time. This is one of
64 the purposes Public VPN services cater for, allowing you to connect to the
65 Internet securely. For a fee they allow you to connect to their VPN gateway
66 and then forward your packets from there to any site on the Internet your
67 application wants to connect to. The other purpose of Public VPNs is that
68 their use achieves anonymity of your real IP address, as long as they have
69 configured their forwarding correctly and the application running on your PC
70 is not leaking your real IP address. This VPN-forwarding set up can be used
71 to by-pass geo-blocking and is often used for this purpose too.
72
73 Regarding your stated use case, it is highly unlikely your bank is offering a
74 public VPN connection for its customers, for the purpose of online banking.
75 What banks offer to customers is Layer 5 secure connectivity via HTTPS, which
76 is configured/managed via the customer's browser and the bank's webserver.
77 Since this connection is encrypted, the use of a VPN only offers redundancy
78 and could be considered superfluous.
79
80 Regarding the security of it all (VPN, SSH, or HTTPS) it is now common
81 knowledge that NSA has cracked, compromised and pre-computed[1] a lot of the
82 secure keys being used by many network security appliances, if the vendors
83 hadn't already offered these to the NSA in the first place[2]. If you are
84 using software configured to only use strong ciphers, then you are probably
85 quite secure for a little while longer.[3]
86
87 YMMV. :-)
90 REFERENCES:
92 [1] https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/10/breaking_diffie.html